Friday, May 29, 2009

Watercolouring - May Stamp Club

Water colour crayons, pencils, pens, ink pads and ink refills, there are so many different tools available for water colouring, it's often difficult to know which one suits you the best. So this month for stamp club we had a play with the different options. We started by stamping either the whale or the hippo from the Pun fun set onto watercolour paper and then practiced building up the colour to give our design a round look. I usually use three colours, starting with the lightest colour, then add a darker colour or more of the same colour to give a darker look. By building up the colour a bit at a time it is easier to get a more 3D look to the image rather than a flat look. I also showed how to use reinkers to do a colour wash background. I put a few drops of reinker into a paint palette and added water then using a brush gradually swiped each colour across until I had the effect I liked. I punched a small circle out of a post it note for the moon and stuck it on before I did the colour wash. Then I took it off and sponged a bit of colour on it to give it some texture. The grass is stamped with Inspired by Nature, one of my favourite sets from the new Stampin' Up! catalogue. I used 2 different green inks to give the grass a bit of difference. Eventually I will incorporate these practice samples into a card.

No comments: